Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Insurance Company Details
Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Plans details Review
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies is a group of large U.S. insurance and financial services companies based in Columbus, OH. The company also operates regional headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ; Des Moines, IA; San Antonio, TX; Gainesville, FL; Raleigh, NC; Sacramento, CA, and Westerville, OH. Nationwide currently has approximately 34,000 employees, and is ranked #73 in the 2019 Fortune 500 list. Nationwide is currently ranked #53 in Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For”.
Nationwide Financial Services (NFS), a component of the group, was partially floated on the New York Stock Exchange prior to being repurchased by Nationwide Mutual in 2009. It had owned the majority of NFS common stock since it had gone public in 1997.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Beginnings as Farm Bureau Mutual
In the 1920s, farmers were paying the same rates on their automobile insurance as city drivers even though they had fewer accidents and claims than city drivers. The Ohio Farm Bureau decided to set up their own insurance company to offer rates that accurately reflected the driving habits of farmers. On April 10, 1926, the Farm Bureau Mutual Automobile Insurance Company obtained license to do business in Ohio, and two days later, it acquired its financing—a $10,000 loan drawn from the membership dues of the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation.
At that time, Ohio law required 100 people to pledge to become policyholders. The first agents managed to recruit ten times that number, and on April 14, 1926, Farm Bureau Mutual started business with over 1,000 policyholders. The first product of the new company, as its name implied, was automobile insurance. The company wrote policies only to Ohio farmers who were members of the Ohio Farm Bureau.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Expansion
In 1928, Farm Bureau Mutual expanded to West Virginia, followed by Maryland, Delaware, Vermont, and North Carolina. Farm Bureau Mutual began underwriting residents of small towns in 1931 and residents in larger cities in 1934. Also, in 1934, Farm Bureau Mutual began offering fire insurance. This product grew the following year with the purchase of a struggling fire insurance company.
In 1935, Farm Bureau Mutual acquired the Life Insurance Company of America from the bankrupt fraternal insurer, American Insurance Union. The company was later renamed to Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company in 1938.
With growth, came a need for expansion of office space. In 1936, the company moved to the famous 246 Building at 246 N. High Street in Columbus.
By 1943, Farm Bureau Mutual operated in 12 states and the District of Columbia. Even with the tripling of space in the 246 Building (which was finally dedicated on the 25th anniversary of the company), Farm Bureau Mutual still had insufficient office space, and began opening regional offices in 1951.
In 1955, Farm Bureau Mutual changed its name to Nationwide Insurance, a name by which it is commonly known today. In the 10 years that followed, Nationwide expanded into Oregon, making the company truly “nationwide”. It also expanded into 19 other states, bringing the total by 1965 to 32 states and the District of Columbia.
Nationwide outgrew the 246 Building by the 1970s, and work began on a new skyscraper headquarters for the company. In 1978, One Nationwide Plaza was completed at the southwest corner of N. High Street and Nationwide Blvd. on the northern edge of downtown Columbus, Ohio. Since 1988, Nationwide has added the following to its presence in Downtown Columbus: Plaza Two (on the northeast corner of High Street and Chestnut), Plaza Three (just west of High Street and Chestnut), Plaza Four (Front Street), 275 Marconi (behind Plazas One and Three on Marconi Blvd), and 10 West Nationwide, which together with Plaza One form the primary downtown complex. In addition to downtown Columbus, Nationwide also has a significant presence in the Columbus, Ohio metropolitan suburbs of Dublin, Grandview Heights, and Grove City.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Nationwide Slogan & Jingle
The Nationwide slogan, “Nationwide is on your Side” was first introduced to the public in 1965, composed by acclaimed jingle writer Steve Karmen, and was later set to music in 1969.
Nationwide Jingle Singers & Performers
- Jana Kramer
- Peyton Manning
- Leslie Odom Jr.
- Brad Paisley
- Rachel Platten
- Julia Roberts
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Nationwide Tour
In 2003, Nationwide secured the naming rights from what was then the Buy.com Tour, the second-highest men’s professional golf tour in the United States. The tour was known by this name until 2012, when Nationwide relinquished the naming rights.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Nationwide Children’s Hospital
On September 24, 2007, Columbus Children’s Hospital was rededicated as Nationwide Children’s Hospital. This was done in response to a $50 million donation to the hospital by Nationwide.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Helping Columbus become a major league city
By 1997, the city of Columbus had grown to become the 15th largest city in the United States. However, Columbus by this time was the largest American city without a professional sports franchise competing in the top leagues in the United States (i.e., Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, or the National Hockey League).
After plans to move the Hartford Whalers to Columbus failed when voters rejected a tax levy, the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company announced that it would build an arena adjacent to One Nationwide Plaza in an effort to bring an NHL franchise to Columbus. This second effort was successful, and the Columbus Blue Jackets began play at Nationwide Arena in late 2000. Nationwide Arena, named for the company, is the centerpiece of the Arena District, an area of entertainment venues, restaurants, and hotels linking downtown Columbus with The Short North neighborhood.
Nationwide Realty Investors is the company’s real estate development arm, and is involved with providing the land for a new stadium in Columbus.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company NASCAR
Nationwide became the title sponsor of the NASCAR Nationwide Series beginning in the 2008 season. On September 18, 2013, the company announced it will no longer sponsor the series after 2014, but will remain an official sponsor of NASCAR. Beginning in 2015, Nationwide became the primary sponsor for Dale Earnhardt, Jr. in the Sprint Cup Series.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Memorial Tournament
On September 3, 2010, Nationwide announced a six-year deal to become the presenting sponsor of the PGA Tour Memorial Tournament beginning with the 2010 event.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Jack Hanna
In March 2010, Nationwide announced it would be co-sponsoring Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Director Emeritus Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild TV show and national speaking tour.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company The companies
Nationwide is one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world, focusing on domestic property and casualty insurance, life insurance and retirement savings, asset management, and strategic investments.
The Nationwide family includes:
Property and Casualty
- Atlantic Floridian Insurance Company
- Colonial County Mutual Insurance Company
- Crestbrook Insurance Company
- Lone Star General Agency
- Nationwide Affinity Insurance Company of America
- Nationwide Assurance Company
- Nationwide Corporation
- Nationwide Exclusive Agent Risk Purchasing Group
- Nationwide General Insurance Company
- Nationwide Indemnity Company
- Nationwide Insurance Company of Florida
- Nationwide International Underwriters
- Nationwide Lloyds
- Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- Nationwide Property and Casualty Insurance company
- Retention Alternatives Ltd.
- Veterinary Pet Insurance Company
- Whitehall Holdings, Inc.
- WI of Florida, Inc.
- THI Holdings (Delaware), Inc.
- Titan Auto Insurance of New Mexico, Inc.
- Titan Indemnity Company
- Titan Insurance Company
- Titan Insurance Services, Inc.
- Victoria Automobile Insurance Company
- Victoria Fire & Casualty Company
- Victoria National Insurance Company
- Victoria Select Insurance Company
- Victoria Specialty Insurance Company
- Allied General Agency Company
- Allied Group, Inc.
- Allied Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- Allied Texas Agency, Inc.
- AMCO Insurance Company
- Cal-Ag Insurance Services, Inc.
- CalFarm Insurance Agency
- Depositors Insurance Company
- Nationwide Document Solutions, Inc.
- Nationwide Insurance Company of America
- Nationwide Sales Solutions, Inc.
- Premier Agency, Inc.
- F & B, Inc.
- Farmland Mutual Insurance Company
- Nationwide Agribusiness Insurance Company
- DVM Insurance Agency, Inc.
- National Casualty Company
- Scottsdale Indemnity Company
- Scottsdale Insurance Company
- Scottsdale Surplus Lines Insurance
- American Marine Underwriters
- Insurance Intermediaries
- Western Heritage Insurance Company
Life Insurance, Retirement and Investment
- 1717 Advisory Services, Inc.
- 1717 Brokerage Services, Inc
- Nationwide Securities, LLC
- Gardiner Point Hospitality, LLC
- Life REO Holdings, LLC
- Nationwide Affordable Housing, LLC
- Nationwide Alternative Investments, LLC
- Nationwide Bank
- Nationwide Community Development Corporation, LLC
- Nationwide Financial Assignment Company
- Nationwide Financial Institution Distributors Agency, Inc.
- Nationwide Financial Services Capital Trust
- Nationwide Financial Services, Inc.
- Nationwide Financial Structured Products, LLC
- Nationwide Fund Advisors
- Nationwide Fund Distributors LLC
- Nationwide Fund Management LLC
- Nationwide Investment Advisors, LLC
- Nationwide Investment Services Corporation
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company of Delaware
- Nationwide Life Tax Credit Partners 2007-A, LLC
- Nationwide Provident Holding Company
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions Insurance Agency, Inc.
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc.
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Arizona
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Ohio
- Nationwide Retirement Solutions, Inc. of Texas
- NF Reinsurance Ltd.
- NFS Distributors, Inc.
- Olentangy Reinsurance Company
- Pension Associates, Inc.
- Provestco, Inc.
- RCMD Financial Services, Inc.
- Registered Investment Advisors Services, Inc.
- TBG Aviation, LLC
- TBG Danco Insurance Services Corporation
- TBG Financial & Insurance Services Corp.
- TBG Insurance Services Corporation
- Washington Square Administrative Services, Inc.
- Audenstar Limited
- Corviant Corporation
- Nationwide Asset Management Holdings
- Nationwide Emerging Managers, LLC
- Nationwide Global Funds
- Nationwide Global Ventures, Inc.
- Nationwide Mutual Funds
- Nationwide SA Capital Trust
- Nationwide Separate Accounts, LLC
- Nationwide Variable Insurance Trust
- Newhouse Capital Partners, LLC
- Newhouse MD LLC
- Newhouse Special Situations Fund I, LLC
- NWD Asset Management Holdings, Inc.
- NWD Investment Management, Inc.
- NWD Management & Research Trust
- Riverview Alternative Investment Advisors, LLC
- Riverview International Group, Inc.
- The Healthcare Fund LDC
- National Casualty Company of America, Ltd.
- AGMC Reinsurance, Ltd.
- FutureHealth Corporation
- FutureHealth Holding Company
- FutureHealth Technologies Corporation
- Gates, McDonald & Company
- Gates, McDonald & Company of New York, Inc.
- GatesMcDonald Health Plus Inc.
- Intervent USA, Inc.
- Nationwide Advantage Mortgage Company
- Nationwide Asset Management, LLC
- Nationwide Better Health, Inc.
- Nationwide Cash Management Company
- Nationwide Global Holdings, Inc.
- Nationwide Management Systems, Inc.
- Nationwide Mutual Capital I, LLC
- Nationwide Mutual Capital, LLC
- Nationwide Private Equity Fund, LLC
- Nationwide Realty Investors, Ltd.
- Nationwide Realty Management, LLC
- Nationwide Services for You, LLC
Previously Owned Companies
- Nationwide Communications, a broadcasting company that owned radio station WNCI
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Diversity
Since 2004, Nationwide has continuously received a 100% rating each year on the Corporate Equality Index, which is released by the gay rights activist group Human Rights Campaign. Nationwide includes “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” in its equal employment opportunity policy, and provides diversity training to its employees on sexual orientation.
In 2008, Nationwide entered into an exclusive partnership with Tavis Smiley, including sponsorship of Smiley’s PBS television program as a provider of property and casualty insurance products. The sponsorship of the television program ended in 2011, but the partnership continues for other events and initiatives.
Nationwide was also a national sponsor of the 2009 State of the Black Union event.
Nationwide hired, Vernon Blatz, one of the country’s first blind computer programmers in 1964. He attended the University of Cincinnati Medical Center’s trial run of the nation’s first training program to educate the blind for careers involving computers.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Enterprise Collaboration
Nationwide’s internal collaboration platform “SPOT” is an advanced enterprise social media platform that combines Yammer and Sharepoint to provide a unified experience to Nationwide employees.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Mobile claims application
In 2009, Nationwide released Nationwide Mobile, a free iPhone application for Nationwide auto insurance customers and other iPhone users. The app is designed to assist drivers with the steps to take after an accident. It also helps Nationwide customers start the claims process, finds Nationwide-certified local repair shops, and facilitates the exchange of accident and insurance information. Nationwide was the first US insurer to offer such an application for the iPhone.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Death Benefit Controversy
In October 2012, Nationwide paid $7.2 million to resolve a proof of its payouts for death benefits in a probe led by a multistate task force headed by Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty. The task force stated that over $1 billion of death benefits was not paid to consumers by multiple companies, including Nationwide, MetLife, Prudential Financial, Inc., and Manulife Financial Corp, because of customers failure to file a claims report. The pact reached with the task force will commit Nationwide and other insurers to compare its records against the Social Security Death Index and conduct a search for beneficiaries. The language in life insurance policies make it clear that it is up to the beneficiaries to notify the insurer. However, few companies have fallen back on this argument due to public relations fallout.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Claims of Bad Faith
In June 2014, Nationwide was hit with an $18 million punitive damages award after a plaintiff proved the company “strong-armed its own policyholder rather than negotiating in good faith to compensate plaintiff for the loss suffered in an automobile collision.”
- List of United States insurance companies
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company biography Net worth, Details Reference
- Official website
- Nationwide Financial website
- Nationwide Pet Insurance website