Molina Healthcare Insurance Company Details
- NYSE: MOH
- S&P 400 component
(President & CEO)
- Managed care
- Medicaid managed care
Molina Healthcare Plans details Review
- NYSE: MOH
- S&P 400 component
- Managed care
- Medicaid managed care
Molina Healthcare is a managed care company headquartered in Long Beach, California, United States. The company provides health insurance to individuals through government programs such as Medicaid and Medicare.
Molina Healthcare History
Molina Healthcare was founded in 1980 by C. David Molina, an emergency room physician in Long Beach, California. He had seen an influx of patients using the emergency room for common illnesses such as a sore throat or the flu because they were being turned away by doctors who would not accept Medi-Cal. Molina established his first primary care clinic with the goal of treating the lowest-income patients, regardless of their ability to pay.
Molina Healthcare Leadership
For twenty years, the company was run by Dr. Molina’s son, J. Mario Molina, MD, a physician. He was the president and CEO of the company. John Molina, Mario’s younger brother, was the CFO of Molina Healthcare. The two took over the Molina’s operations after their father died in 1996 and continued to expand the company. In May 2017 J. Mario and John were removed from their positions by the Board of Directors, who cited poor financial performance as the reason for the change in leadership. In October 2017 the company announced Joseph M. Zubretsky, the former CFO of Aetna, as Molina Healthcare’s president and CEO.
Molina Healthcare Clinics
The first Molina Medical clinic was opened in Wilmington, California in 1980. The company formerly operated clinics in Washington, New Mexico, Florida and Utah. The clinics were opened to provide health care to low-income families and individuals. In August 2017 Molina Healthcare announced it would close several clinics in Michigan, Florida, New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Utah.
Molina Healthcare Becoming an HMO
Molina Healthcare has focused on government-paid health care programs such as SCHIP and Medicaid since it became a health maintenance organization in 1985. From 1985 to 1997, the company was only in California.
Molina Healthcare Expansion of health plans
- 1997: Molina Healthcare acquires HealthReach Family Health Care and enters the states of Utah and Michigan.
- 2000: Molina Healthcare enters the state of Washington.
- 2004: Molina Healthcare enters the state of New Mexico.
- 2005: Molina Healthcare becomes a health plan in Ohio.
- 2006: Molina Healthcare enters the state of Texas.
- 2007: Molina Healthcare enters Missouri.
- 2008: Molina Healthcare enters Florida.
- 2010: Molina Healthcare enters Wisconsin.
- 2012: Molina Healthcare enters Illinois.
- 2013: Molina Healthcare enters South Carolina by acquiring assets from Community Health Solutions.
- 2013: Molina Healthcare acquires New Mexico Lovelace Medicaid contract.
- 2014: Molina Healthcare acquires Florida Medicaid assets from First Coast Advantage.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare enters Chicago market, acquiring MyCare Chicago’s Medicaid assets.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare enters Puerto Rico.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Washington is the first health care company in the state to cover “Virtual Urgent Care” services.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare acquires Medicaid assets of Integral Health Plan, Inc. in Florida.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare acquires Providence Human Services and Community Services, now known as Pathways by Molina.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare adds online access to behavioral health.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare acquires HealthPlus MIChild and Medicaid programs of Michigan.
- 2015: Molina Healthcare acquires assets of Loyola Physician Partners’ Medicaid Program of Illinois.
- 2017: Molina Healthcare exits the individual Marketplace in Utah and Wisconsin.
- 2018: Molina Healthcare loses Medicaid contract with the state of New Mexico.
Molina Healthcare ‘
s “Inner City 100” list to go public.
Molina Healthcare Entering the Medicare market
Molina Healthcare entered the Medicare market in 2006. The company currently offers Medicare health plan options in: California, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
Molina Healthcare Entering MMIS market
Molina Healthcare acquired Unisys’ health information management business in December 2010 to create Molina Medicaid Solutions (MMS). MMS has Medicaid Management Information Systems (MMIS) contracts with Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, New Jersey, West Virginia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In Autumn 2018, Molina Healthcare, Inc. sold its Medicaid management information systems business, Molina Medicaid Solutions (MMS), to DXC Technology. MMS was a wholly owned subsidiary of Molina Healthcare at the time of sale.
Molina Healthcare Entering health insurance marketplace
In 2014, Molina Healthcare began offering Marketplace plans in nine states where it offered Medicaid health plans through State Facilitated Marketplaces and Federally Facilitated Marketplace. On November 16, 2016 the Seattle Times reported that about 11 million people currently get their coverage through the exchange. In August 2017 Molina announced it would stop offering plans on the health insurance marketplaces in Utah, Wisconsin, and Maine in 2018.
Molina Healthcare Dual eligible demonstration projects
Molina was selected to participate in dual eligible demonstration projects in California, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, South Carolina and Texas to serve patients who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
Molina Healthcare Awards and recognition
Molina Healthcare was awarded the 2011 Alfred P. Sloan Award for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility. The award ranked Molina Healthcare in the top 20 percent of employers nationally in terms of its programs, policies and culture for creating an effective and flexible workplace. In 2006, Molina Healthcare was named among the 100 best corporate citizens by Business Ethics magazine. In 2005, Time magazine recognized Dr. J. Mario Molina, then CEO of Molina Healthcare, as one of the 25 most influential Hispanics in America.
The company ranked 168th on the 2019 Fortune 500 list of the largest United States corporations by revenue.
Molina Healthcare Other awards and recognition
- 2012: Molina Healthcare of Ohio received Corporate Caring Award from Columbus Business First
- 2012: Molina Healthcare of Ohio awarded Best Places to Work Award from Columbus Business First
- 2013: Molina Healthcare of Ohio awarded Ohio Association of Health Plans Pinnacle Award
- 2013: Molina Healthcare of Ohio awarded Padrino Award from the Ohio Hispanic Coalition
- 2014: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Recognizes Molina Healthcare of Wisconsin with a Top Workplace Award 2014
- 2014: Molina Healthcare of New Mexico voted Best Places to Work by Albuquerque Business First
- 2014: Molina Healthcare of Utah voted among Top Workplaces by the Salt Lake Tribune
- 2014: Molina Healthcare of Ohio received Medical Mutual Pillar Award for Community Service
- 2014: Molina Healthcare of Wisconsin became Partner to CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program Partner
- 2014: Molina Healthcare, Inc. was one of 26 companies to participate in President Obama’s SupplierPay 2014
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Texas ranked #3 Medicaid health plan in Texas by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of California ranked #1 Medicaid health plan in California by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Utah ranked #1 Medicaid health plan in Utah by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Washington ranked #1 Medicaid Health Plan in Washington by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Ohio ranked #2 Medicaid health plan in Ohio by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of New Mexico ranked #1 Medicaid health plan in New Mexico by NCQA
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of Wisconsin voted Top Workplaces by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- 2015: Molina Healthcare, Inc. voted Top Ten Least Stressful Companies to Work for In America 2015
- 2015: Molina Healthcare, Inc. ranked 301 in top Fortune 500 2015
- 2015: Molina Healthcare of New Mexico awarded the New Mexico Performance Excellence Pinon Recognition
- 2016: Molina Healthcare, Inc. ranked 201 in top Fortune 500 2016
- 2017: Molina Healthcare, Inc. ranked 156 in Fortune 500 2017
Molina Healthcare biography Net worth, Details Reference
- Molina Healthcare