Medical Mutual of Ohio Insurance Company Details
and life insurance
Medical Mutual of Ohio Plans details Review
Medical Mutual of Ohio (MMOH) is an American mutual health insurance company. It is the oldest and largest health insurance company based in Cleveland, Ohio, and serves more than 1.6 million customers. Employing 2,500 people, Medical Mutual is one of the biggest employers in downtown Cleveland.
Headquartered in Cleveland’s historic Rose Building, the company also has statewide offices in Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Independence, Richfield, Toledo and Youngstown, as well as an information systems facility in Beachwood. In 2008, Medical Mutual of Ohio ranked 806 out of the top 1,000 corporations in America.
Medical Mutual of Ohio citation needed
Medical Mutual of Ohio History
In 1926, Elyria Memorial Hospital administrator John R. Mannix began experimenting with the idea of hospital pre-payment and the basic principles of insurance, eventually leading to the formation of the Cleveland Hospital Service Association in 1934. At this time, hospital associations such as the CHSA became known as Blue Cross Plans. In 1939, Blue Cross Plans united to form the Blue Cross Association
In 1956, Medical Mutual of Cleveland was formed to provide coverage for doctor fees. CHSA merged with Akron Hospital Service to form Blue Cross of Northeast Ohio in 1957, and four years later, Medical Mutual of Cleveland became affiliated with the Blue Shield system.
In 1984, Blue Cross of Northeast Ohio and Medical Mutual of Cleveland merged to form Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Northern Ohio. Two years after the merger, the new company joined Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Northwest Ohio to form Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio.
In 1997, the company left the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association and re-claimed the name of one of its predecessors, becoming the present day Medical Mutual of Ohio.
Early in 2013, Medical Mutual issued an apology to its customers for a computer problem that caused prescriptions completed on the last day of 2012 to incur a higher charge than should have been the case.
Medical Mutual of Ohio Significant milestones
- 1934 – Cleveland Hospital Service Association formed to provide hospitalization insurance.
- 1939 – Blue Cross Association formed. CHSA was a member.
- 1945 – Medical Mutual of Cleveland formed to provide insurance for physicians’ bills.
- 1957 – CHSA merged with Akron Hospital Service to form Blue Cross of Northeast Ohio.
- 1961 – Medical Mutual of Cleveland becomes affiliated with the Blue Shield System.
- 1984 – Blue Cross of Northeast Ohio merged with Medical Mutual to form Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Northern Ohio.
- 1986 – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Northern Ohio merged with Blue Cross of Northwest Ohio to form Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio.
- 1993 – Among the fastest-growing healthcare companies with a managed care product known today as SuperMed. SuperMed proved beneficial to the Greater Cleveland Growth Association’s Council of Smaller Enterprises (COSE) and later became a national model for insurance among small businesses, chambers, and associations.
- 1997 – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Ohio renamed Medical Mutual of Ohio. Kent Clapp named chairman, president and chief executive officer.
- 1997 – Medical Mutual expanded beyond health insurance and created Antares Management Solutions to leverage the company’s computer systems.
- 2001 – Medical Mutual’s Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), SuperMed Plus, is recognized as the first PPO in the United States to earn Full Accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- 2003 – Medical Mutual purchased Consumers Life Insurance Company, which held licenses to sell insurance in 38 states.
- 2007 – Medical Mutual acquired Carolina Care Plan, one of the largest health maintenance organizations (HMOs) in South Carolina.
- 2010 – Medical Mutual selected to run the Ohio High Risk Pool by the Ohio Department of Insurance. The program ended in March 2013.
- 2011 – Medical Mutual, for the third consecutive year, makes the InformationWeek 500 annual listing of the nation’s most innovative users of business technology.
- 2016 – Medical Mutual acquires HealthSpan insurance from Mercy Health.
Medical Mutual of Ohio citation needed
Medical Mutual of Ohio Articles and interviews
- Inside Business magazine: “The Feeling’s Mutual : After Losing CEO Kent Clapp in a tragic accident, Medical Mutual is back on track with longtime leader Rick Chiricosta”. (June 2009)
- Reuters.com: “Walgreens Accepts Medical Mutual of Ohio Prescription Plan” (February 11, 2009)
- Reuters.com: “Medical Mutual of Ohio Earns Top Accreditation for Product Excellence” (March 31, 2008)
- Inside Business magazine: “Prescription for prevention: with today’s aging population, Kent Clapp leads medical mutual of Ohio to new heights by focusing on preventative health care”. (November 2007)
Medical Mutual of Ohio biography Net worth, Details Reference
- Official website
- Ohio High Risk Pool official website
- Consumers Life Insurance Company official website
- Carolina Care Plan official website